When we combine the qualities of the Moon (safety, security) with Mars (action, impulse, defensiveness), we see personalities, karmas, and intimate connections that involve very raw emotions, challenged emotions, and likewise intuitive action and extraordinarily vital emotions and vital forms of “holding”. When Mars and Moon combine, we see clash of archetype that is tricky, potentially sexy, and ultimately deeply important to liberate or direct.
Do you have a Moon-Mars signature or are involved in relationship with someone who does, or your synastry does? Some signatures that combine the Lunar and Martian archetypes are: Moon in the 1st house, Mars in the 4th house, Moon in Aries, Mars in Cancer, and the Moon aspecting Mars in a natal chart or by synastry. The sign and house placements will further denote how this dynamic expresses itself.
Here are some of the more difficult experiences that come up when there are strong Moon-Mars signatures:
(Image: Lee Hye Seung by Ahn Joo Young)
- Regular emotional states of emotional rawness and agitation.
- Emotional states intricately linked with defensiveness.
- Dangerous early life circumstances, abusive homes, a lot of early imprinting of anger or the need to defend oneself or other family members.
- Easily set off emotionally, very emotionally reactive, emotionally impulsive.
- When hurt or triggered by emotions of abandonment, an extreme rawness.
- Early conditioning related to violence
- Always on the run from or toward conflict, basic aversion to staying in situations that are safe – actually comfortable with conflict and insecure when things are calm or serene. Likewise, a desire for serenity and peace and feeing held, but always feeling like it’s out of reach. Vacillating between either of these poles.
- Didn’t healthfully attach in childhood because of adverse home environments, the experience of attachment or bonding/relationship as life continues is fraught – a kind of psychological battle field. Resistance to being close to anyone.
- Emotional need to conquer – creates attractions to unavailable partners, or when there is closeness, tends to hurt people or sever connections.
- One’s physical or martial capacities require a certain kind of emotional state or lifestyle which doesn’t really allow a sense of security (or one is simply aware that something can threaten safety or security at any moment, and they are prepared to deal with it). A person is suited to throw down when necessary.
And here are some ways that Moon-Mars is also accessed that might be considered more pleasurable:
(Image: Belle de jour by Luis Buñuel)
- Emotionally tuned in, emotionally present sex
- Empathic sex, the ability to really feel the other partner’s reactions and emotions and to really hold active space for elevated sexual experience as a result.
- Emotionally courageous.
- A vital emotional life: fiery emotions and a deep presence with life force involved in emotional life (very much checked in).
- Finding the right form of exercise or physical exertion for oneself creates security, self-esteem, and better flow through life.
- The ability to very actively take care of others or oneself.
- Protector archetype – using physical and/or emotional strength to defend/protect that which is vulnerable.
- Extremely passionate close relationships.
- Actually vitalized by being emotionally present with others: brave confidante, able to reach depths and hold space there. Supporting the courage of others.
- If Martial drives are channeled or liberated in the persona enough, these parts of the personality can be directed in ways that are safe and vital for everyone.
- Very comfortable with sexuality and taking action.
In synastry, the vibe is like playing with fire – elements of both the difficult/pleasurable spectrum can be present. The connection can inspire a deep openness and rawness, the sex can be really amazing, natural and intuitive, and either person can really hurt the other just by being sharp in some way where the other was being soft and vulnerable. The level to which the persons involved can achieve a vital harmony or exciting state of being together relates to the emotional or psychological fitness of the bond: one or both people can definitely feel challenged or triggered by the other and this will come up to the surface. How comfortable with conflict are the people sharing the connection? If there is a shared intention to grow together, this can speak to a lot of vitality. If the connection isn’t quite meeting in the middle or is mismatched in some way, one or both people can feel very raw from the encounter.
Sabrina Monarch is a soul-centered Evolutionary Astrologer who publishes weekly astrological forecasts. She has been collecting astrological experience for over a decade. She also enjoys yoga, hiking and creative writing. You can subscribe to receive her weekly forecasts by email here.