This week Venus will enter Taurus, Mars and Jupiter join in Aries, and we have a New Moon in Gemini (among other transits). I want to highlight these three because they each have in common the possibility of generating more space in our lives for optimism, pleasure, excitement, and life-enhancing storytelling.
Venus in Taurus does this with opening a conversation, at a somatic level, of how we open to pleasures in life and the sensations we feel. How we relate with our desires and aesthetic preferences, as well as our range to be in relationship with all kinds of feelings and sensations.
Mars and Jupiter in Aries does it with having a vision and believing that getting there is possible, and being game to grow from working with the obstacles and challenges.
The New Moon in Gemini does this with the creation of new thoughts.
There is of course risk for fantasy within all of this (being off-base, but going for it anyway – trying to build a castle in the sky with no ground to anchor it) – and I’m not suggesting fantasy that dissociates us from life or the truth of who we are just because it feels good to be in fantasy.
What I am suggesting is to consider that a lot of us are already telling limiting stories about ourselves and our lives, based on logical structures we haven’t totally checked. (Low level fantasy)
One of my favorite practices for expanding my enjoyment of and connection to my life is getting in the narrator mind of the story of my life, and brushing aside the lackadaisical blah energy (it’s okay that it’s there, it’s human, it’s mundane) or the disempowering painful narratives I’m looping in, and getting more curious about a deeper angle of magic and possibility that is present – a layer that is always there if I look for it, side-by-side with all experiences.
I wouldn’t recommend this practice as an escape or avoidance from life, but rather a way to sit with the actual events of our lives and consider how generous or generative our storytelling about it is. What are we choosing to notice, and what are we making those details mean? A lot of the time, as convincing as the mind is, we’re making a lot of stuff up.
And once we’re connected to the subjectivity, absurdity, and all the possibility at play: why not… tap into a deeper level of truth and tap into our own capacity to be creative and have authorship with our experience? At a higher level, this is the magician side of Gemini and Mercury – the capacity to create with the mind, rather than be bested by it.
Welcome back! Or in case this is your first time here, I’m Sabrina Monarch and I’m a soul-centered astrologer. I love providing perspectives on the opportunities of transits and putting into words what the zeitgeist feels like at this moment in time, to support you on your path & open a dialogue between us and the cosmos. If you would like to receive these weekly forecasts to your inbox and be notified of upcoming educational opportunities, sign up for my mailing list here.
(Top image: Isamu Ohta, detail)
Watch this week’s forecast on YouTube, or continue reading below:
Astrology reading books are currently closed (this mailing list to be notified when they re-open).
The Evolutionary Astrology Intensive is currently in session. Learn more about it and get on the waitlist for the next one here.
New in-progress audio novella shared in chapters on Magic of the Spheres podcast. Listen where you tune into podcasts, or read more about the project and listen on your browser here.
Here’s Our Week
May 25, 2022
Mercury retrograde in 28 Taurus trine Pluto retrograde in 28 Capricorn: 2:49 PM PDT
This connects us back to a trine Mercury made to Pluto on April 28 before both Mercury & Pluto stationed retrograde.
- This Mercury-Pluto trine in earth signs feels resonant with sifting through large amounts of material: physical items, somatic layers in the body, psychological layers. Mercury in a fixed earth sign, Taurus, and retrograde, could relate to a certain amount of density that is being processed or reviewed: sifting through items in a garage, sifting through potent old memories, releasing tensions in the body where we are storing a significant amount of energetic charge.
- It is possible to feel overwhelmed because there is too much to sift through, too much to process, and avoidance shows up as not doing anything or being in a state of paralysis.
- Keep in mind, Mercury-Pluto contacts relate to mental disempowerment (difficult thoughts, racing mind when you’re trying to fall asleep, etc) as well as mental empowerment – mindsets, tools, practices that train or transform the mind and connect us with the magician signifier of Mercury. With this particular transit, mindsets and tools that help us transform/alchemize stagnancy would be relevant.
May 26, 2022
Venus in 28 Aries square Pluto retrograde in 28 Capricorn: 11:29 PM PDT
- This is a first quarter square between Pluto and Venus, marking a cardinal turning point around action, taking a leap, making a move of some kind within the context of intimacy and empowerment within relationship.
- To the extent that desires or frustrations within our depth psyche are more repressed or depressed, Venus in Aries’ burst of fiery assertiveness, once out, may be more extreme or aggressive than the situation calls for.
- So, if we notice ourselves having more reactivity in relationship, or more extreme impulses that we may manage to control (“I’m ready to freak out but I’m holding it together cause I know how to behave!!”), there is a fertile tension revealing itself.
- The fertility of this tension is personal in nature, but some examples: resentment revealing to us a place where we didn’t set boundaries or ask for what we really wanted; anger showing us that we desire something to change or are ready to embody more of our power in the situation; shame revealing to us the ways we don’t approve of our own humanity, and so on.
- Venus-Pluto can relate to ways we want to experience catharsis in matters of intimacy or sensual fulfillment. This can be channeled in beneficial, life-enhancing ways. It can help to be honest with ourselves around what our most true, vulnerable desires are and act from the place of that thread. When we are disconnected from our own desire, we are more susceptible to reaching at big, flashy things that we think we are ‘supposed’ to want. There is alchemy in the true desire. It can be subtle. It is whatever size we are ready for.
- Another way to read this square is that there may be conflicting drives between progress and impulse and forward momentum (Aries) and caution (Capricorn), versus how these psychic orientations are more integrated in the psyche (meaningful, well-considered risk; trusting and really holding ourselves when it’s time to jump.)
May 28, 2022
Venus enters Taurus: 7:46 AM PDT
Venus will stay in Taurus until her Gemini ingress on June 22.
- This brings Venus to her home sign, the earth side of Venus, where we deepen and discover our relationship with sensual pleasure as well as our energetic capacity to receive what we desire.
- Taurus is alternately a very receptive sign and prone to being hard-headed/stubborn and not actually receptive. Think of the difference between fertile, rich soil that is dark, damp and loose to the touch versus dry, cracked soil that is hard and can only be broken up with some kind of garden tool. When a person is new to accepting money for their business/services directly, there is for example a process of opening to that as a reality and being able to receive amounts of money without contracting or saying, “no, no!” and offering a discount. This energetic can show up as accepting a compliment without shrinking away or saying something self-deprecating. Or feeling a pleasurable sensation and practicing allowing oneself to have it without thinking about a to-do list or some reason we feel guilty.
- Venus in Taurus may offer a lot of resources – literally, energetically, as circumstance/flow – to open into a greater level of receptivity to sensations as well as to acquisition (possessions, money, etc.) It doesn’t mean it will magically happen for us. There is still our participation in tapping into the way we personally soften and open to receive what it is we are seeking to be in deeper relationship with. These are the Taurus mysteries. 🙂
May 29, 2022
Mars in 3 Aries conjunct Jupiter in 3 Aries: 3:30 AM PDT
- There is a joyful, life-enhancing push here of “just do it!”. There might be a sense that the same places we are inspired to take risks/make moves/take a leap are connected to a broader, philosophical conceptualization of meaning. It’s like when we’ve connected to a story or a teaching that enables us to be more activated and energized in our own life story/journey.
- As an embodiment, this Mars-Jupiter in Aries feels very much like a smiling, buoyant, athletic coach who holds a vision of your victory and is supporting you as you navigate challenges and obstacles, because those very obstacles are seen in the context of your journey to greatness. We might be more inclined to perceive challenges with more optimism when we take on this athletic, growth-oriented attitude.
- Consider where in your life needs this kind of medicine. Notice when you are playing Jupiter (encouragement, guide) to another person’s hero impulse, as well!
May 30, 2022
New Moon in 9 Gemini: 4:30 AM PDT
This lunar cycle will peak with a Full Moon in Sagittarius on June 14, with the Sun and Moon square Neptune in Pisces. Some thoughts:
- It is my understanding that Reality supports our projections and illusions for a time, like a wave that comes out of the ocean (it exists) and then will crash back into the ocean. Then there is deeper truth (the ocean). A lot of social reality is caught up in the wave, which is real enough, but not ultimate.
- Gemini can generate anything – it is our connection to the magician archetype, where we can will things into being with our words: proclaim “I am _____” or work with mantras, or more complexly tell stories about who we are. Develop logic about who we are and what is a likely outcome in life for us. What is possible for us. Mental novelty not only opens up new doors in our experience, but new doors in the cosmos – the animating field of reality that participates with our creativity.
- The challenge/pitfall of people’s relationship with the Gemini domain of life (not necessarily signs/people etc) is taking subjective logical structures at face value, and subconsciously identifying with logical structures that scaffold in place a limiting or even delusional (out of touch) reality. We all do this. Most people are telling stories to themselves about reality, about themselves, about other people, that are logical, but not true.
- The gift of our relationship with Gemini is to become a little more fluid and flexible about the kinds of thoughts and stories we choose to participate with, recognizing the difference between Truth (what is) and where there is some flex – where, one can decide to tell a different story about what is possible in their own life and have a different experience due to the shift in subconscious orientation. Becoming awake in our mental fantasies, and thinking, “interesting that I only see two options in this scenario and both of those options are really terrible. Might there be a third, or fourth, or fifth thing?” – and beginning to generate life-enhancing novelty – new thoughts that are delightful or create more fun or space in the reality. New thoughts that give us more acrobatic agility to navigate shifting the complex limitations of our lives.
- For fun, see if you can come up with some thoughts this New Moon that excite or enliven you. Gemini is like a reporter, and can take an infinite number of angles on the reality. If you were telling a story about your day, who you are, where can you find greater liberty in delight? A beautiful thought, courting the periphery of your mind.
Thank you for meditating on the planets with me this week! If you would like further guidance, I have been increasingly focused on longer-term experiences in the form of the Evolutionary Astrology Intensive, higher level course METEORITE for alumni, and 1:1 mentorship (mentorship re-opening at a future time) – helping people form a depth relationship to their natal chart and personal transits over time, to develop themselves, to be in their power, and to reach their goals, all through the soul-making lens of evolutionary astrology. I would love to support you in building your relationship with astrology. The intensive is currently in session and METEORITE 2022 is currently in session.
Find me on Instagram @sabrinamonarch, get on my mailing list to stay apprised of all upcoming offerings and events, and I’ll see you next week!