(Watch the video version with commentary above or continue reading)
Jupiter stations retrograde in Capricorn, and the Sun in Taurus trines Pluto and Jupiter in Capricorn. These alignments occur in earth signs at the later degrees of their signs – there is a fullness, heaviness, and thickness energetically. Our attention comes to matters like the body, our finances, and physical and material possessions. Feeling earthy “fullness” can be one of feeling overstuffed, clogged up, stagnant, stuck, etc, or it can be a kind of revelry in the physical senses or a sense of being able to touch and be intimately with something or some things that were once just ideas and dreams and now we are blessed to see our efforts materialized before us.
The reality is that either of these “full” earth experiences are connected to each other. In order to cultivate a life of value (and to experience the fullness as revelry), we do have to give things up. Not all accumulation (of material or energy) is meant to stay. Yet, sometimes in the very desire to have and to be full, to feel secure – we hoard and hold onto what might be better to let go of. And steadily as we accumulate this level of clutter, we become less and less available to receive what we might actually desire or what might actually be more fulfilling, because we’ve clogged up our channels with the deadweight we clutch at.
This situation can be changed! But not always so simply through the mind. I may feel dismal about my room when it’s messy, and I can do a bunch of mindset work around it but ultimately I feel much differently if I just open the window, clean, and put out some fresh flowers and move the energy on a physical level.
(Image: The Mirror / Зеркало (1975) directed by Andrei Tarkovsky)
Similarly, we can reach blocks in our healing journeys and our personal evolution when we seek to create some radical change in our lives or let some old pattern go and we seek only to do so on the mental level. This is why I believe that the revolution is PHYSICAL right now with Uranus in Taurus, and that we can experience new frontiers of possibility within ourselves when we explore our relationship with the esoteric mysteries of the body – things like learning how to clear conditioning or trauma from the body. Learning how to feel safe. Learning how to feel worthy and deserving where we do not. Learning how to be more and more receptive to pleasure states (without feeling like something bad is going to happen to balance out the good) and how to circulate the energy we discover in pleasure states.
While this fullness and heaviness of the moment is soon to turn over and shift more as the Sun makes it way toward an air sign, we’ve still got a lot of earth-element astrology: Pluto and Jupiter in Capricorn for a bit, and we have Uranus in Taurus for around 5 more years. I really invite you to consider <the physical revolution> and what steps you can take in your life to feel more connected to and empowered by sensuality and the fullness of earthly, incarnate life and the physical vessels that ground us here, and the ecosystems we are a part of.
Uranus brings surprises and awakenings, so perhaps you had, like me, the realization at one point in your life that you could talk to plants and actually get a response from the plants (wait, how?! – I have a podcast on it with Cici Cyr you can listen to here). Or also like me, that you could feel and talk to planets and get a response?! (And you can too! I teach Evolutionary Astrology Intensives designed to empower people’s personal direct connection to astrology. Dates for the next course announced soon.) There’s so much magic in this existence, in store. Like Rilke (Pluto in Taurus) once said, “Believe in a love that is being stored up for you like an inheritance, and have faith that in this love there is a strength and a blessing so large that you can travel as far as you wish without having to step outside it.”
Welcome back! Or in case this is your first time here, I’m Sabrina Monarch and I’m a soul-centered astrologer. I love providing perspectives on the opportunities of transits and putting into words what the vibe feels like at this moment in time, to support you on your path & open a dialogue between us and the cosmos. If you would like to receive these weekly forecasts to your inbox, sign up for my mailing list here. This is also a great way to stay in the loop about special offerings and to be notified when Evolutionary Astrology Intensive opens up for enrollment!
Before we get into this week’s transits in more detail, a few announcements:
New episode of Magic of the Spheres! Fellow astrologer Maren Altman and I speak about creativity, and really creativity at a deeper level – beyond a specific project or the categories that creativity fits into like art-making, but creativity in terms of what it is cosmologically. We spoke of the process of actualizing one’s aspirations and following one’s excitement as a kind of creativity. We also speak of how we, as fractals of the cosmos, participate in the expansion of the cosmos through our creative ‘offspring’ of all kinds.
Maren Altman is an astrologer living in New York City as she finishes her undergraduate degree at New York University. Her practice centers around combining ancient traditional Hellenistic techniques with modern psychological counseling dynamics in order to provide practical guidance to her clients. She is interested in the long-term research of astrology as learning about the structure of reality, and she has plans to combine her astrology with her path of Philosophy graduate school in order to become a cosmological thought leader. Maren is also a published fiction author, with her first novel, A Prisoner of Memory, now available on Amazon, and her second, Badflower, on the way. She is the founder of Rasi Collective, a website connecting spiritual practitioners with their ideal clients in order to make the online metaphysical world easier to maneuver. Maren posts philosophical discourse and astrological content on her YouTube channel and on her podcast, Modern Magic, which centers around astrology, metaphysics, and grounding the woo of the spiritual path. She offers astrology readings at her website and has her 8-week Astrology Academy course launching May 24th, with details for both on her social media and at her website, marenaltman.com.
Listen to this episode where you tune into podcasts! Or on your browser here.
Kickstarter coming June 2020: June will begin the sixth year of writing these weekly forecasts and I’ll be asking for your support to crowdfund the year ahead. I’ll be offering astrology readings, discounted tuition to my Evolutionary Astrology course, and more. These forecasts have long been free and providing so much value to many people’s lives, and I truly need the support of you as my community to thrive. (Consider me like public radio!) I aim to keep sharing valuable free content for years to come and I ask for your help achieving a salary for the consistent high-value content I share with the public. This will be my first Kickstarter – please help me make it a success!
Here’s our week:
May 14, 2020
Jupiter stations retrograde in 27 Capricorn: 7:32 AM PDT
One thing that is significant about this station is that it means Jupiter will form two more conjunctions to Pluto in Capricorn – once when it retrogrades (conjunct Pluto exact on June 29), and again after it turns direct again (exact conjunction on November 12). This has been one of the characterizing transits of 2020, that will continue on for the year. Here are some things to consider:
- Capricorn is a yin, earth sign and relates to the experience of contraction. It is a sign associated with material and worldly success, as well. Materialization is itself a contraction. Materialization is the process by which infinite possibility condenses and narrows into the manifestation of a particular thing or circumstance. To consider this at a basic level, let’s imagine a plot of land where a house is going to be built. While there may be some natural limitations within the environment and resources available around what the house will be, within those limitations are infinite permutations of possibility of what house will be built. But once the blueprint is set and the house is built, it is now a distinct thing that has emerged from what was before, a sea of infinite possibility.
- Now that the house is built, it will be a container for a particular experience (though yet again, with infinite possibilities contained in its parameters). Our life decisions are similar. We decide to go to a particular school, and it alters the course of our life. Materializations narrow and specify the path. With Jupiter in Capricorn, consider which contractions/materializations bring greater expansion by virtue of the container and consequences they create.
- The Jupiter-Pluto conjunction can be associated with the pandemic because it is the growth (Jupiter) of something causing destruction, decay, and/or transformation (Pluto), and so some people are experiencing loss in their worldly arena of life (not being able to go to work, or contractions in their career field). Others are expanding or adapting in career fields because of the shift.
- The sense of a great pause is in the air, regardless of whether this feels like a cataclysmic or refreshing experience. There is an opening to question what drives and motivates us in the way we structure our lives (the values we are loyal to, the big decisions and commitments we make that shape our lives) and to gain clarity on what truly matters to us and how exactly we are going to live in accordance with those deeper values.
- There is also a magnification of doubt and we might consider our relationship with doubt. Do we allow doubt in as a signal that there may be something important that we are missing – does doubt guide us to ask better questions, seek guidance from deep inner-knowing and from people we respect, and to actually make life-enhancing changes?
- But, as a reverse, unrelenting doubt – a lack of ability to trust or have faith – is something that many people find virtuous, like a kind of vigilance to make sure we’re never fooled or nothing bad ever happens. I offer an invitation to allow this type of energy (if you can identify it living in you) to bend.
- For example, many of us may have a great wish or desire that we also fear “will never happen”. It’s not usually the case that we are able to change our minds in a magic instant, but we have to undergo a process of questioning the belief systems our doubt is based upon, unraveling and releasing them, and adopting different beliefs. This can be a process that happens over time. It’s basically what people are doing when they work with a mentor, a transformational coach, go through a program that creates some kind of transformation, or when someone creates a new habit in their life that goes against the grain of their previous identity.
(Image: cover art by Moebius for the French edition of Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Are You Experienced?/Axis: Bold as Love’ double album, 1975)
- If the union of Jupiter and Pluto is magnifying decay (as one of its possibilities), this energy can be collaborated with by working to clear the psychic overgrowth of our limiting beliefs or the beliefs we’ve formed about life due to past traumas.
- Additionally, there may be some fruits, revelations, downloads, ripening of consciousness – however you want to imagine it – that come from spaces of deep pause and rest, or spending time outside, or doing things that are just for the sake of play and have little agenda. Like what good sleep does to regenerate the body, wakeful activities where we momentarily unhook from the pressures and burdens of life have a magically regenerative effect, as well!
Sun in 24 Taurus trine Pluto in 24 Capricorn: 11:49 PM PDT
(Image: Immaterial Caresses by James Ensor, 1939)
- Sun-Pluto contacts relate to transformations of self that occur by witnessing someone who we find compelling, charismatic, or who possesses traits that we are mesmerized by or deeply attracted to. At a low level this relates to jealousy/envy and feeling disempowered by another person’s existence – that just seeing them shine hurts to look at because it puts us in touch with shame around what we don’t have or who we are not.
- In some cases a response to feeling triggered by other people’s talent or gifts is to want to draw the blinds and keep the light away, and to isolate oneself from the influence that is causing such distress. At certain times in one’s development, closing oneself off from other’s creativity can be a way to induce greater development of one’s own creativity. There may be places we want to do the hard work and not take shortcuts, just so we can really grow a deeper sense of ownership of our own capacities. This is often what Taurus needs – simplicity and less external influence.
- At other places in one’s development, being able to be in the company of others’ creativity and to be influenced by it is the growth edge. Law of attraction teachings often state that if we contract, cringe, feel angst, etc. at the sight of another person’s success, yet we want success, we are not in vibrational alignment with that success when we have such a strong negative response to seeing that quality in others.
- Cringing at other people’s success is not exactly an ideal psychic thorn that we want to carry around, no? The solution is again, not something that happens in a magic instant, but rather a value or skill that we cultivate which is the capacity to feel empathic joy for other people’s brilliance.
- People with Sun-Pluto natally often are capable of developing talents by watching or interacting with people who have those talents. When their ego-distortions, pride, or jealousy can get out of the way (even if it is still there to an extent), they are able to ‘absorb’ into their persona qualities they did not possess on their own at first. Regardless of having this as a natal position or not, with a certain amount of receptivity we all can transform through relationship.
(Image: Le Paradis et La Péri: Le Tresor [The Treasury] by Gustave Adolphe Mossa 1913)
- Remember the Sun relates to both talent and generosity, and one of the gifts of the Sun is that its boundless generosity helps things grow. Often in the process of having a particular talent a person may wield it as a weapon, intimidating other people with it and enjoying being the best or the brightest in the room at the expense of others. At a deeper level of empowerment and generosity, a person may have a more loving relationship with the environment and people around them. It’s one thing to exude personal power and use it as a weapon, and another to exude personal power and have a way of uplifting others with it.
- And at the end of the day, everyone will have their own response to other people’s energy which is why taking up space and shining in this reality involves the capacity to not be overly hindered by not being liked or approved of by everyone.
- There may be a growing awareness at this time as well, of the impact that some of our natural gifts and talents (which may be blindspots to us) impact others. Validation and feedback need not only be something that we receive unsolicited. If you’re feeling insecure, try asking people who love you and have your best interest at heart, what they like about you. It’s a vulnerable thing to do and often, people will be happy to love you.
May 15, 2020
Mercury in 8 Gemini sextile Chiron in 8 Aries: 1:22 PM PDT
- There may be a subtle magic here around the courage to try new things or to explore new vantage points (Mercury in Gemini), especially if the edge is that one feels inferior (Chiron in Aries) in these new arenas. Because of the gentleness of the sextile aspect, it’s unlikely that this subtle opening will be one of necessity or a pressing concern. It may show up more as a desire to do something you’ve long wanted to, but continue to put off because there’s an excuse like, “it’s hard’, “I don’t know how to do it,” “other people do it better”, “I should just focus on what I am already good at”, etc. The new opportunity is an attitude of “why not today?”
May 17, 2020
Sun in 27 Taurus trine Jupiter in 27 Capricorn: 9:40 AM PDT
(Image: Dante and Virgil Entering Purgatory by Luca Signorelli c. 1499-1502)
- The first image that came to me was cleaning out the bottom of a trash can or compost bin, or otherwise doing some thorough chore involving something especially gnarly. Perhaps as an activity this is literally a way of being with the transits. Of course this could happen as a psychological level, rooting out some deep ancient pattern and releasing it. But I like the physical example because such tasks are like energy work on a physical space, and have a way of moving and clearing energy on all levels (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, etc).
- One of Taurus’s deeper evolutionary qualities is the development of self-esteem, and like our trashcan/compost metaphor, not all aspects of self are things we particularly like, and yet what is our process for being with all of it? And what hard or unpleasant things do we do as acts of self-love? Maybe tracking where our money is coming from and going is something that feels triggering to us, but we know it’s our growth edge and we’re learning about managing money – so we do it. Whatever that thing is for you, there can be a correlation this week between doing the hard thing and feeling self-esteem and gratification as a result.
Thank you for meditating on the planets with me this week! I really appreciate you being here with me as I know that if you connect to this writing we have likemindedness and that is so special. Please share this article with a friend who you think would resonate!
I welcome and accept tips for this forecast – my Venmo is @SabrinaMonarch and Cashapp $SabrinaMonarch as well. Thank you!
Please let me know what you think in the comments – truly I want to know so leave a note! I love you and you are soul family to me, thank you for finding your way to these words and resonating with them in whatever ways you have.
If you enjoy these forecasts and would like more personalized guidance re your personal astrology, I would love to read your natal chart and transits for you! If you would like me to explore the themes in your chart, book a reading with me here.
I meditate on charts before the reading and combine my knowledge of astrology with my clairvoyant abilities to offer you some insights about themes you are working with in this life based on prior lives, and what is the evolutionary purpose of this lifetime. I recorded an episode on my podcast recently titled Befriending your Intuition and Clairvoyance if you’d like to learn more about my relationship with clairvoyance along with tips for increasing yours!
I can work with your specific questions and shed light on ongoing issues or patterns you would like to shift, as well! Book with me here.
I’m also becoming increasingly expressive on instagram, so go find me there @sabrinamonarch and say hello! I’m posting content there that I don’t share anywhere else and I love interacting with you there as well as on twitter @sabrina_monarch.
Sabrina Monarch is a soul-centered Evolutionary Astrologer who publishes weekly astrological forecasts, works with clients and teaches. She is a novelist and has a M.A. in Philosophy, Cosmology and Consciousness from the California Institute of Integral Studies.
(image of monarch butterflies coming out of envelope by @chthonicbacchae)