We have our second of two eclipses this eclipse season – a New Moon solar eclipse in Sagittarius on December 14. Mars in Aries, slowly leaving retrograde shadow, forms a trine with the Sun, and Venus in Scorpio forms sextiles to Pluto, Jupiter, and Saturn in Capricorn before ingressing into Sagittarius on the 15th. By the end of the week the personal/innermost planets (Sun, Mercury, Venus, and Mars) will all be in fire signs. The mood is then energetic, vitalized, and action-driven.
(There is no YouTube version of the forecast this week – keep reading below, but subscribe to my channel and hit the notification bell for updates.)
Venus made a similar entrance into Scorpio as her exit – in late Libra, before the Scorpio ingress, Venus squared the lineup of Pluto, Jupiter, and Saturn in Capricorn. Now on her way out of Scorpio, she makes more subtle contact with these three planets. This mood is far more serious, sultry, and intense than Venus in fun-loving Sagittarius is.
Just as we might enjoy having a deep and rich conversation, the soul is drawn to depths, complexities, and dramas. There is a time that simmering in the underworld and being intimate with hidden processes can feel enriching – and a time where we itch to burst that bubble. A New Moon in Sagittarius, plus Venus entering Sagittarius, can signify a shift in direction toward greater optimism and levity, but we might expect for a few grievances to surface, like scraping out the bottom layer debris of a vessel.
Welcome back! Or in case this is your first time here, I’m Sabrina Monarch and I’m a soul-centered astrologer. I love providing perspectives on the opportunities of transits and putting into words what the zeitgeist feels like at this moment in time, to support you on your path & open a dialogue between us and the cosmos. If you would like to receive these weekly forecasts to your inbox and be notified of upcoming educational opportunities, sign up for my mailing list here.
Here’s our week after a few announcements!
New episode! I interviewed Erin Shipley @etshipley about some key shifts in thinking that have occurred for her along the path of activism and anti-oppression work, and its intersection with wellness. I felt a lot of care and depth emanating from this conversation. This is a thought-provoking episode drawing together some insights on how belonging and being in relationship with all things are medicines for the alienation and separation that are embedded in various cultural myths we have been born into. Tune in where you listen to podcasts, or on your browser here.
Study Evolutionary Astrology with me in January 2021 – enrollment is now open! It’s always an inspiring group of deep thinkers that gather for this class. If you are wanting to learn karmic soul-centered astrology, and go deeper into the astrological craft in both an intuitive and a structured/guided way – and you resonate with these forecasts, you’ll love this live course.
This course is all levels. Have that click where you *get* astrology and can begin to form your own interpretations, or profoundly deepen your existing awareness. Learn how to read charts as a whole from the perspective of reincarnation – what past life themes have you brought into this lifetime that you are still working with? What is your purpose in this lifetime, and what helps you to evolve? Gain a personal mythos and a soulful context for a deeper understanding of any area of your life – and learn wisdom teachings of depth astrology that you can engage to empower your soul’s potentials.
Introducing a new program for alumni of the Evolutionary Astrology Intensive (a level two training)! METEORITE is an Astrological Embodiment Accelerator, a deep nine-month dive into building skill and voice as astrologers. Expanding on what we’ve already learned in the intensive, we will practice our interpretive and delineation skills, continue to explore the transpersonal mysteries of the outer planets, work with the material of our own charts and transits, and create something (a work of astrological scholarship or art) by the end of the nine months to share with everyone. Call it an initiation.
Astrology has always been so fun and magical to me but also something I see as worth being dedicated about, which means training! There are many hours that go into studying, practicing, and then there are also the attunements of how to live astrologically (how to track the transits, how to evolve your expression of your natal placements in daily life, discovering learning opportunities everywhere like getting in the habit of looking up the natal charts of actors when you watch films, etc.) – so let’s develop skill and interpretive acumen in community. This is a space for astrological devotion, and for bringing this practice into earth – i.e. materializing it and making it a reality. Open to alumni, with potential special exceptions to people well-versed in Evolutionary Astrology. Learn more and apply here.
Astrology Reading Bookings FULL: My books are currently closed, but I am still taking new clients for ongoing mentorship/coaching (6 month – 1 year commitment). If you’re interested in working with me in that capacity, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. And make sure you’re on my mailing list if you’d like to be informed of when my books open again!
Here’s our week:
December 9, 2020
Sun in 18 Sagittarius square Neptune in 18 Pisces: 11:07 AM PST
December 10, 2020
Venus in 23 Scorpio sextile Pluto in 23 Capricorn: 3:29 AM PST
- These placements together can be quite calculating within relationships – strategizing about how to win another person over, or how to contain oneself as to not be ‘too much’ or lose love as a result of revealing oneself too deeply. If we find ourselves in this territory it opens up a deeper question of why love and manipulation are connected? Why do we feel we need to trick anyone into loving us, and does that even work? This mental state of trying to ‘get’ love can be an indicator that we are in need of coming back to ourselves, our center of worth, our real power.
- Venus in Scorpio is a deeply feeling placement and the co-presence of feeling threatened – love like licking honey off a razor’s edge. Pluto in Capricorn might come in with some degree of restraint, like titrating how invested one feels in time, or having boundaries around what fantasies and anxieties one is willing to entertain.
- This alignment could speak to some desire for the experience or feeling of being contained/safe in one’s deepest feelings. This can occur in either/both our relationships as well as our inner-capacity to feel certain things without spinning out, trying to shut it down, feeling shame about it, etc. It can feel magical to have these deeper sensations held. Psychological or spiritual maturity, and its arc through time, can be a limit here. For perspective, you might consider parts of yourself you are capable of working with gracefully now, that would have spun you out ten years ago. It’s transformative to work at the edge, but one doesn’t need to go so far that it becomes unmanageable.
Sun in 19 Sagittarius trine Mars in 19 Aries: 4:38 PM PST
Sun-Mars trines don’t happen all that frequently – it takes a Mars retrograde (which happens around once ever two years) for Mars to travel this far away from the Sun, eventually making an opposition at the heart of a Mars retrograde. We are coming out of a recent Mars retrograde.
- The Sun and Mars, both in fire signs, and forming a harmonious aspect, may relate to a significant burst of energy and the sense of being impelled in a direction. This can feel like having the wind at our backs… or for anyone who played Nintendo, the boosts in Mario Cart.
- However, there can also be a certain degree of tension/itchiness if we are conflicted about our direction. As these tensions are revealed, it can spark some clarity around needed action. Be mindful about desires to lash out – lashing out can relate to feeling out of alignment with ourselves – such as agreeing to a situation we don’t actually feel okay with but then being mad at the other person. Making it about the other person can be an avoidance of personal responsibility. The sudden urge to lash out may be good information (that something is off, that one desires change) but that energy can certainly be harnessed in a more productive, life-enhancing direction.
December 13, 2020
Mercury in 18 Sagittarius square Neptune in 18 Pisces: 3:21 AM PST
- It is possible for things like tasks, paperwork, or detail-specific work to feel more unruly and confusing during a transit like this. Details can be magnified and become a whole universe in of itself with Mercury in a Jupiter ruled sign, and Neptune blurs boundaries. This can relate to proceeding on tasks in a more intuitive order/fashion, where there is more room for flow and spontaneity.
- This transit may also be a window for more imaginative, visionary thinking. Daydreaming can be like an internal wilderness. If it’s not a place we visit often, it may seem unkempt, dangerous, full of intrusions or anxiety-provoking things. If it is a place we tend to, we might have built some trails or have a more familiar relationship with the visitations that can occur in that realm.
December 14, 2020
New Moon Solar Eclipse in 23 Sagittarius: 8:16 AM PST
The Sun and Moon are fairly close to the North Node (19 degrees of Sagittarius) and Mercury in 20 degrees of Sagittarius is also conjunct this lunation. The New Moon squares Neptune in Pisces and trines Mars in Aries. Check to see if you have any placements close to 23 degrees of Sagittarius – this is likely an area of life that is experiencing accelerated change.
- Sagittarius relates to worldview, cosmology, and beliefs – these are essentially each larger principles which organize our experience into a story or a paradigm. Worldviews are cultural (they create, and are created by culture) and we inherit them from our culture of origin, our family of origin, and the various life experiences we have and the ways we perceptually organize them (what truths do they become evidence of?). Our worldviews can be so compelling to us because they are based off of our experiences, or they have conditioned our experiences.
- With various paradox or contradictions also present in our experience, we can be drawn toward seeking larger and larger contexts which can somehow be inclusive of it all. This can relate to both explaining things away (in a non-ideal sense) or discovering compelling worldviews that can relate to a sense of awe in the vastness of the universe.
- This eclipse consider, rather than asserting a belief, to relax into a truth that is already there. One that you do not have to convince yourself of. What does that feel like to you?
- Eclipses, by nature, bring change – a wormhole type of experience. It is generally more ideal during eclipses to be receptive and non-attached, allowing shift/change but not trying to force or will it into being. Ideas, visions, or plans can land inside of our consciousness – or they can appear in the external as directions or opportunities. These wormhole-esque openings can prompt us to relax into deeper truths – perhaps deeper than the things we’ve identified with at an egoic level. If you feel strained, out of alignment, or like you are trying to make anything happen – slow down. Let there be some emptiness, some receptivity, before the visitation of an inspired or life-affirming vision.
Venus in 28 Scorpio sextile Jupiter in 28 Capricorn: 12:58 PM PST
Mercury in 20 Sagittarius trine Mars in 20 Aries: 8:24 PM PST
- Mercury-Mars contacts are archetypally resonant with debate and verbal argument, but in a harmonious aspect like the trine, it may show up as more good-natured than it is antagonistic. As a point of reflection it could be worth considering if our attempts to challenge others this week are coming from a place of friendship and interest in sparking new ideas together, or if we are simply being argumentative or making something personal.
- As I see it, Mars likes to spar, and there are friendly ways to challenge people.
- The friction and liveliness brought to communications this week with Mercury in a fire sign trining Mars in another fire sign can relate to truth or frank perspectives coming out into the open.
December 15, 2020
Venus in 29 Scorpio sextile Saturn in 29 Capricorn: 5:00 AM PST
(Image: Soft Collapse by beeple)
Venus enters Sagittarius: 8:21 AM PST
Venus will stay in Sagittarius until January 8, 2021.
- While Venus was in Scorpio it may have felt harder to tell the truth, in that we could have been steeped in some of our deepest and most tumultuous emotional secrets – low-key 😉 We grapple with our most intense feelings and sensations in the sign of Scorpio and there is a lot of power consciousness in this sign, which is the awareness of loss and gain of power, and ideally an arc of discovering true, non-extractive and non-manipulative power. After traveling through Scorpio and moving into Sagittarius, there is a significant shift toward levity. We feel less gripped by our obsessions, more willing to put it all out there (like being more transparent, frank, expressive) and to see what happens.
- Venus in Sagittarius can relate to the pleasure we experience from moving forward – having a trajectory, having a sense of being on a journey, and having this sense of destiny or special purpose fuel us to rise to the occasion of challenges and to let go of what is not for us.
- Venus relates to self-esteem and essential needs. While traveling through the sign of Sagittarius, it may be that having new experiences (whether solo or with others) expands the connection that we have to ourselves, and the connection that we have to all that is around is. Consider what that moment of having fun again after a season of grief feels like – it is heartening. It’s harder in some moments than others. But doing things just for fun or engaging new adventures can be a way of breaking up the patterns of the past, and could be a source of connection and re-connection this season.
Thank you for meditating on the planets with me this week! If you would like further guidance, I have been increasingly focused on longer-term 1:1 work with my students and clients, in the form of mentorship – helping people form a depth relationship to their natal chart and personal transits over time, to develop themselves, to heal, and to reach their goals, all through the soul-making lens of evolutionary astrology. If you’re interested in working together in that capacity, I am currently accepting new clients. Send me an email at email@example.com to start a conversation and set up a free consultation call.
Find me on Instagram @sabrinamonarch and Twitter @Sabrina_monarch, get on my mailing list to stay apprised of all upcoming offerings and events, and I’ll see you next week!
(Top Image: unknown)