The thing really moving for me as I reflect on the month ahead (a lunar cycle that includes an eclipse at the Full Moon) is thinking about interiority – the inner world, the darkness behind our closed eyes, the nighttime consciousness, the ways our reactions and assumptions or irritations can reveal to us a hidden part of our nature if we will let ourselves reflect on the symbolism, the story, the patterns.
We might also relax the need to know. Epiphany or insight is actually a really pleasant electric emotion. And it can’t be forced. And if we’re honest, we know when we’re creating a knowing just to feel secure. When it comes to shadow work and understanding our inner life from a mythic, nighttime perspective, it can be true as well to be in a liminal place.
My advice for the lunar cycle ahead would be to deepen your relationship with emotional transparency with yourself. It’s bizarre to think that we hide from our own selves, but we do. We have protective defenses to guard ourselves from the overwhelm or chaos of really looking at certain things or feeling certain emotions all the way through. Since this is so sensitive, it is okay and wise to go slow, but to do it… because our shadow informs our life.
Eclipse Season is generally a time where emotions run higher and life itself gets imbued with that nighttime consciousness, even during the day. So we find ourselves ready to overreact, or overly irritated by a comment, or feeling excessively where we’d rather be chill. But the opportunity here is to see a part of ourselves that we tend not to, and as we discover how to come back into relationship with this hidden or neglected aspect of ourselves, practice soul-retrieval.
Welcome back! Or in case this is your first time here, I’m Sabrina Monarch and I’m a soul-centered astrologer. I love providing perspectives on the opportunities of transits and putting into words what the zeitgeist feels like at this moment in time, to support you on your path & open a dialogue between us and the cosmos. If you would like to receive these weekly forecasts to your inbox and be notified of upcoming educational opportunities, sign up for my mailing list here.
Here’s our week:
November 4, 2021
New Moon in 12 Scorpio: 2:15 PM PDT
Eclipse season begins as the Full Moon in this lunar cycle will be an eclipse! This New Moon is directly opposite Uranus in 12 Taurus and squares Saturn in 7 Aquarius, effectively activating the ongoing Saturn-Uranus square. The New Moon forms a wide square to Jupiter in 22 Aquarius also, but at the upcoming Full Moon, the Sun and Moon in 27 degrees of their signs will more closely t-square Jupiter in Aquarius as the square to Saturn fades out.
- Scorpio is a sign of deep desire and magnetic attraction, as well as enmeshment and addiction. The deeper work found in the Scorpio archetype is personal power: knowing how to surrender to true desire, allow and have capacity for Kundalini life-force, and to discover how to stop feeding our addictions and effectively harness our life-force more wisely, channeling that inner power for greater pursuits. This all requires that we are able to discern the difference between true desire and addiction. There may also be an uncomfortable (but powerful) between stage where we are lucid about our addictive tendencies and watch ourselves play out our patterns. It is important to develop neutrality here, since shame can keep us in the addictive cycle. Soberly watching our patterns can make way for new choices to emerge from within.
- With a Scorpio New Moon activating the Saturn-Uranus square, we have this dynamic described above applied to a longer, defining storyline of 2021. (Watch my video on the Saturn-Uranus square here.) The Saturn-Uranus square implies: a tension between conserving the past versus grounding into the future; sudden shifts in structure or paradigm; “new normal”; long-rooted or deeply-seated tensions coming to a confrontational breaking point within a system (such as a family unit, a country, a relationship, a workplace, an ecosystem, etc.); the impulse to normalize and implement innovative ideas/practices; dramatically felt social tensions between different paradigms.
- This New Moon may relate to finding ourselves in situations (subtly or more loudly) where we feel acutely aware of our current limitations and our desire for metamorphosis. We see ourselves in the same old pattern, but like we are bursting out of a seed-husk or outgrowing a house (a la Alice in Wonderland and Alice’s limbs breaking through the windows as she grows while inside of a house that stays the same size), we are finding the pattern unbearable or no longer a place we can stand to reside.
- And so what if it is uncomfortable??! Find your absolute ALIVENESS in this immensity of sensation. Get into trance with it – talk in front of the mirror, create spoken word art, do interpretive dance about it. Get weird. Get to know yourself here. A great plot point of life may be upon us, and it’s not one to sleep through. Be mindful not to be destructive with this energy unless you are very clear about your decisions and what you are severing. Have the mood, get into trance, and find your aliveness and wisdom there. Then we can seek to integrate that information into how we live our lives.
- Eclipse Season heightens emotions and soul-work constellating through life and our responses/reactions to life. We have the opportunity to find the shadow material in our triggers, and can maybe slow down enough to not just hop on the same old loop.
Sun in 12 Scorpio opposite Uranus retrograde in 12 Taurus: 4:58 PM PDT
In addition to what I shared above for the New Moon, I’ll add this:
- Uranus relates to non-linear connections, or things like jumping timelines or having a quantum leap. Getting into a teleportation machine or a wormhole and ending up somewhere else immediately. The psyche has this capacity as well, and in the flavors of Scorpio and Taurus here it gives me the image of ceremony, and how pushing an edge or being in an non-ordinary state of consciousness/trance we might expose and magnify a part of our inner world which is operating a lower, perhaps more secretive level in our everyday life. By letting it get big and dramatic, we accelerate its lifecycle and make room for it to flourish and then decay, and have its energy recycled. This is why the practice of facing the parts of ourselves we’d rather not look at (to stop running away and avoiding them but actually go deeply into them) can have transformative power in our lives – we let a process unfold in the container of ritual, instead of trying to freeze it but inevitably carrying it around everywhere we go anyway.
- While ritual is an amazing outlet for Scorpio, introspective practices or giving yourself time and space to explore your inner world is also effective.
November 5, 2021
Venus enters Capricorn: 3:44 AM PDT
(Image: Elizaveta Porodina)
Venus will retrograde in 26 Capricorn (conjunct Pluto) on December 19, station direct in 11 Capricorn on January 29, 2022, and leave Capricorn on March 5, 2022. Due to the retrograde, we will have a longer time to get to know the energy of Venus in Capricorn.
- While Venus is in Capricorn, these are some of the dimensions of love that can be highlighted: reliability and dependability; collaboration through coming up with agreements (contracts); how we show up for the ‘work’ of relationship and the unsexier parts of relationship (and the actual vulnerability of those things); navigating expectations; self-respect through boundaries; signaling or demonstrating respect of others; sobriety in love; relationships with elders or how we relate to ourselves as elders; the ways that bonds or trust grow with time and actual experience/seeing a person through many seasons; the ways that inconveniences, challenges or hardships ‘test’ and refine love; assessing how we are allowing or creating time for the experiences and people that we value.
- Venus will be retrograding in the sign of Capricorn and Venus retrogrades are truly like ceremonies. There are often transformations of the heart, of relationship, of our value systems, while Venus retrogrades. So considering the things listed above, our perspectives on these matters may be up for change over the next four or five months. These will be topics worth extra reflection and care.
- Consider the skill around having proper boundaries or boundaries that really serve your wellbeing and your relationships, and the quality of having an OPEN HEART and open sacral while you enact those boundaries. We’ll keep this discussion going as the transit continues, stay tuned…
Mercury enters Scorpio: 3:35 PM PDT
Mercury will stay in Scorpio until November 24.
- Our Scorpio ingresses begin with a square to Saturn in 7 Aquarius, so as Mercury enters this sign they also enter dialogue with Saturn. Mercury in Scorpio relates to an investigative mind, interested in the unseen/hidden/taboo/shadowed. Mercury can get obsessive in this sign – like a detective that gets so obsessed with a case it unnerves their colleagues. At an inner level, passionate thinking can be pleasurable to the extent we are merged into a flow state with our process. But ruminating, anxiety looping, etc. would be forms of “obsessive” thinking we would perhaps seek transformation with (or to not feed it, to the extent we have that power within ourselves).
- Saturn in Aquarius relates to a vast mental context, a paradigm, and our mental boundaries. Enacting mental boundaries (like say, not excessively ruminating on a mistake we made past the point of gaining insight on it, and directing our energy to moving forward) is facilitated by a larger perspective. Whereas Mercury in Scorpio wants to keep digging down the habit hole, Saturn in Aquarius assesses the holistic utility of such a dive.
- Mercury’s ingress into Scorpio may offer/require a degree of mental sobriety, that if we are to ruminate on something tricky at length we at least do so for a good cause (a kind of diligent problem-solving or facing a *necessary truth*). Alternately, we want to be magical with what we choose to merge our minds with – the focus that Scorpio relates to is alchemical in nature: we change due to what information we focus on. Meditation, visualization, research — these can all change us and change our lives. Mercury in Scorpio can be a time to play with the magic of focus.
November 6, 2021
Mercury in 1 Scorpio sextile Venus in 1 Capricorn: 8:59 AM PDT
Here, Mercury and Venus also form a yod to the North Node in Gemini.
- Scorpio and Capricorn are a classic power coupling – if you know, you know! Both signs are extremely aware of power – Scorpio quite obviously as it pertains to the archetype, but often expressed in a subtle, felt, undercurrent, energetic kind of way. Capricorn expresses power through institutions, society, social status, and power at the letter of the law (or breaking the rules in a skillful/aware/intentional way). Both signs are prone to secrecy, and both signs have process around shame.
- With Mercury and Venus forming a harmonic aspect in these signs, communications may be especially beautiful and relational but perhaps, in the spirit of these signs, for a very select audience or ear.
- One magic trick worth noting here is that when we have come to a place of approval within ourselves about a part of ourselves, it cannot be used against us by our would-be enemies. Where we have shame, we are more liable to be shamed and to allow it. If there is a part of yourself that is not going anywhere (perhaps a part of your past, or a totally true part of your present, a part of your nature) yet you fear what would happen if this part came out and was seen, this is a place where your secrets potentially still control you. Find harmony and approval with yourself. Take true responsibility (as opposed to shame, or punitive versions of “responsibility”) and you are unfuckwithable.
Thank you for meditating on the planets with me this week! If you would like further guidance, I have been increasingly focused on longer-term experiences in the form of the Evolutionary Astrology Intensive, higher level courses for alumni, and 1:1 mentorship – helping people form a depth relationship to their natal chart and personal transits over time, to develop themselves, to be in their power, and to reach their goals, all through the soul-making lens of evolutionary astrology. I would love to support you in building your relationship with astrology. The intensive is now open for enrollment, and I am to take on new coaching clients again in the future.
Find me on Instagram @sabrinamonarch, get on my mailing list to stay apprised of all upcoming offerings and events, and I’ll see you next week!